2008-03-13

spearmint, brains, spongebob, a stumble and a fall

What a long week. Fun, stress, injury... action packed.

Sample sale at Kat's work on Friday - got some cute stuff. Audrey's home party on Saturday. Very successful SpongeBob party on Sunday. Monday I was supposed to go to the dentist, but instead fell down a flight of stairs and badly sprained my ankle.

Go me.

Spent the next couple days on my mom's couch, canceling my dentist and psych appointments. I used the time to refurb my photo site's front page, but had no luck in finding a gallery generator I liked.

I also downloaded a bunch of books. Advances in Treatment of Bipolar Disorder is a pretty good read, as it happens. It was good to get the background on the studies on the many medications I take. Yay research.

Then I did some different research, and read that one of the main green tea components (EGCG, the much talked about as of late wonder-compound) may help control hormonal acne.


Inhibiting 5-alpha reductase and DHT. Other studies of green tea have shown that EGCG and epicatechin-3 gallate, known as ECG, are effective in inhibiting the enzyme 5-alpha reductase type 1, thus reducing the synthesis of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a potent form of testosterone


Then I found some other stuff that indicated good success with spearmint tea reducing androgens - PubMed backs it up. Since I like spearmint tea, and it doesn't have caffiene, that works for me.

I'm slightly skeptical, but it's not an expensive compound and it is relatively non-interacting, so I might give it a shot. After all, commercials say it will make me live forever! Who wants to live forever? Who waits forever anyway?

I'm going to give it a shot - can't hurt, might help. For now though, laid up with a purple swollen ankle. The glamor just never stops.

No comments: