2008-02-09

ancient history

I pulled up my web pages from 1996 on internet archive tonight. I don't think I'll link them - they are, in a way, personal.

It makes me happy, to see that over 10 years ago I was designing well, I was writing things that don't totally suck now. I was so unhappy at the time about so many things, but my art and writing and web pages gave me some satisfaction. And 12 years detatched, I can say, it wasn't unwarranted.

Still, strange to look at. It's still me, I noticed. My voice is different, but the song remains the same. And that's good to know.

Interesting facts about me in 1996:

I was 19 years old.

I was flunking out of the Junior College.

I was working at a small ISP, where I first got my UNIX chops. Which I had to unlearn later, and relearn properly. But still.

I made my first real webpages, mostly preformatted text. And they are still badass looking, in my opinion.

I wrote more than I did at any other time of my life, and more freely.

I was completely unstable. My boyfriend broke up with me, and I tried to kill myself twice. As far as I know, I didn't succeed.

I made my first forays into Photoshop and digital art. I never looked back.

They weren't the best of times, but they weren't the worst of times. They were volatile times, times of change, but also creativity. Funny, how that goes.

No comments: